Diversity Committee Agenda
Tuesday, June 28th, 2016
Clayton County Water Authority
HQ Community Use Room
2. Approval of minutes from 05.17.16 Meeting
3. Champion of Diversity Award Updates – Susana Lanier
4. Sub-Committee/ Special Project Reports:
Publication Sub-Committee Chair – Cornell Sims
Brainstorm ideas for a “Year in Review” article for The Georgia Operator to be submitted by 05.05.16 and ideas for other publication submittals.
Feedback from Membership Committee meeting;
• The committee wants to partner with us to push for new members and student membership ($5); maybe, both our committees can have a meeting together in the future
• Contest ideas for the Annual Conference
• Meet & Greet Social scheduled for 7/11 9:30 am – 10:30 am to meet 1st time attendees at a conference
Membership Sub-Committee Chair – Marvin Richards (with help from Keisha L. Thorpe)
Report on preparations for Annual Conference booth including giveaways.
Community Outreach Sub-Committee Chair - Dwayne Tillman
Initial ideas for sub-committee (Additional sub-committee members: Gerald Fuller, Pamela Johnson and Cheryl McClelan)
A. To develop an outreach program to target those who are underrepresented in the water industry who are not currently active in GAWP.
B. Partner with other groups that provide workshops and offer points to water professionals while promoting diversity.
C. Educate/motivate lower level professionals and provide them with opportunities to move up the career ladder.
D. Middle School Mentorship Program- Dwayne Tillman to explore options to help fulfill this effort. Delissa Williams, Joseph Spann, and Cornell Sims are also involved and knowledgeable with educational programs for kids.
5. 2016 Annual Conference – 7.10.16 to 7.13.16 Savannah International Trade & Convention Center
Diversity Session 20: Tuesday, July 12th 2:00PM to 3:30PM (Following Awards Ceremony)
Moderator: Cornell Sims
a. Understanding the Value of Diversity – Speaker: Keisha Lisbon Thorpe
b. Advanced Analysis of the GAWP/ GAWWA Leadership Diversity Survey Results – Speaker: Donnell Duncan, P.E., S.E., Utility Service Group
c. Panel Discussion – The Role of Leadership Diversity in Advancing the Georgia Water Industry – Moderator: Keisha Lisbon Thorpe, Peachtree City Water Authority
6. Project Assignments
7. Selection of Next Meeting Date